Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those
who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.
-- John F. Kennedy

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Boiled My Brain

Well, I gave the family a bit of a scare this past weekend.
I woke up early Saturday morning and started doing yard work to get ready for a pool party and family gathering later in the day. Even though I started early, I'm sure the temp was near triple digits, and as the morning wore on it got much hotter and more humid. But I kept going. I did try to rest every so often and drink some water in the shade or inside the house. But I guess I didn't get enough fluids into my system.
Anyway, I finished up after several hours and as I got ready to take a cool shower I could tell that I overdid it. But I soon felt a little better, went grocery shoping and got ready to BBQ. But, the problem is I forgot to keep drinking water. After working over the hot grill preparing burgers and hot dogs we all sat down to eat and socialize. I started feeling like crap soon after that, and two hours later I still was hurting. Reluctantly, I had Sharyn take me to the hospital. That was Saturday night at about 8 p.m.
It looks like I didn't get full blown heatstroke, but I was dehydrated enough to stress out my body to near the breaking point. They pumped me full of fluids, reloaded my electrolytes, and ran some tests on my heart, lungs, kidneys, liver and other organs (all the results were good news). I started feeling good about 36 hours after I got there, and they let me go home at 4:30 p.m. Monday.
I learned a few things along the way.

  • One, the staff at Chandler Regional Hospital is excellent! The nurses were very friendly, helpful and professional (a big shout out to Holly for her excellent care!). The doctors were great, and so was everyone else, from the meal delivery staff to the patient transport crews.
  • Two, my family knows how to rally around each other. I experienced a tremendous amount of concern and love from everyone. Sharyn, Hannah and Ryan, mom, JoAnne, Carrie, they all came to my side. I also heard from Jay, Kenny, Maddy & Howard, Rich, Steven, and friends from work. I'm sorry they had to worry so much, but I am glad to know how much they care.
  • Three, you would think I would know better after living in the desert my entire life, but you can never drink enough water when you are working in the summer heat. I got careless and it cost me. I think I'm done working in the yard this summer, let the damn weeds grow!
  • Four, it is too damn hot here!

.

No comments: