Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those
who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.
-- John F. Kennedy

Thursday, June 25, 2009

The King of Pop

Weird. Yes. Strange. Yes. Self-Indulgent. Yes. Creepy. Yes. Sad. Terribly.

But never forget the music, the performances, and the groundbreaking videos. Michael Jackson was the musical powerhouse of my generation.

My sister and I used to play Jackson 5 45s over and over and sing them together. I loved all of his early solo albums, and saw Michael and his brothers in concert once. I'll always love his music. And I still get a thrill watching his videos.

My wife and stepchildren don't get what all the fuss is about today. But I am mourning him and appreciating what his music and personality meant to me.

Here are my Top 12 (couldn't stop at 10) Michael Jackson songs (post Jackson 5 but including the Jacksons):
1. Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
2. Billie Jean
3. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
4. Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)
5. Can You Feel It (The Jacksons)
6. Do You Remember the Time
7. The Way You Make Me Feel
8. This Place Hotel (The Jacksons)
9. Rock with You
10. Human Nature
11. Smooth Criminal
12. Scream (with Janet Jackson ... and the most expensive video ever made)
.

No comments: