Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those
who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.
-- John F. Kennedy

Thursday, January 15, 2009

How many Cardinals would it take to kill an Eagle?

The Arizona Cardinals football team is playing on Sunday for a place in the Superbowl.
I cannot freakin' believe that I just wrote that sentence. I saw the first regular season game the Cardinals played in Sun Devil Stadium and many other games in that broiler oven. And I've been two two games in the new stadium. It is a fantastic facility, and it is a fact that the Cardinals would not be in this position if the taxpayers didn't build that stadium for the team.
They were at a constant disadvantage in the old stadium. They have sellout, boisterous crowds in the new one. And the place will be rocking on Sunday when the Eagles come to town.
And I won't be here! My wife and I will be visiting my stepson in Philadelphia this weekend. And he doesn't own a TV. Sooooo, we have to find a place where we can watch the game, cheer for the Cardinals against the hometown Iggles, and not get killed.
I don't want to die, but I am going to enjoy this game. Who knows when this opportunity will come again?
I predict that the Cardinals will ... win, in a close game that may come down to the final possession. And then I will be stunned to write ... Cardinals in the Superbowl!

No comments: