Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those
who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.
-- John F. Kennedy

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Will it be morning in America?

I'm praying for Barack Obama to win the Presidency tonight.
I hope it's a blowout, a flood of hope sweeping the nation, but even if it is close, as long as he wins I will be uplifted.
After nearly eight years of the disastrous Bush/Cheney administration, the country needs positive change. The people need to believe in our government again.
I want a country that chooses hope over fear. Compassion over hate. Inclusion over exclusion. Tolerance over bigotry. Truth over subterfuge. I want people to choose security over fascism. Safety over paranoia. More equality. Less racism. Less sexism. I want people to value intelligence and articulate discourse over simplistic platitudes often designed to divide us, not unite us. On and on and on ...
If he loses, I like millions of others will be devastated. America can be greater than it is today. I don't think John McCain, Sarah Palin and the Republican Party have the ideas of the commitment to get us there.
But should the worst happen, we will find the strength to get back up and continue to fight for change. Our spirits will be low, but we will look to the future.
But, I sense that America wants change. That Americans have accepted Barack Obama as the man of high character that he is.
President Barack Obama.
Beautiful!
.

No comments: