Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those
who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.
-- John F. Kennedy

Sunday, June 29, 2008

If you talk to your plants, you better mean it!

We saw The Happening on Saturday night. This is the eighth M. Night Shyamalan's directed movie, and since I've never seen his first two movies I will say that this ranks number five out of the six I have seen. I'm a fan of his movies, and I admit that some of his recent efforts have been disappointing, but that is because expectations are so high. The Happening is not getting good reviews, but I didn't think it was a horrible movie. However, it did have some quirks that left me wondering if they were intentional or if his movie-making ability has slipped that much? I did read that M. Night said he was trying to make a great "B" movie, and if this film had been done by anyone else viewers may seen it in that light.
The Happening was creepy. From the very start the mood is set with an erie score, and the opening scenes in Central Park and vicinity make you cringe. But the problem was casting and acting, or miscasting and bad acting. Anyway, this will be received much better on DVD and it would be worth the rental.
As for other Shyamalan movies, here is how I rank them:
  1. Unbreakable (2000): One of the best comic book mythology movies ever made, and Bruce Willis is great.
  2. The Sixth Sense (1999): An almost-perfect movie. I just liked Unbreakable more.
  3. Signs (2002): Are we alone? That's the scientific and spiritual question.
  4. Lady in the Water (2006): More mythology and bad creatures, but a lot of sweetness and light.
  5. The Happening (2008): How many creative ways can you think of to kill yourself?
  6. The Village (2004): Still not sure about this one.

No comments: