Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those
who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.
-- John F. Kennedy

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Why do all the big ugly monsters hate New York City?

I saw Cloverfield on Friday night. I had been following news about this movie since the mysterious ad campaign began last fall. So I had scanned a few reviews and checked out the Tomato Rating to see if it would be worth my time.
I have to say that I left the theater very impressed, with my pulse still racing, and a big headache. The turbulent handheld camera work was jolting at times (thus the spinning of my brain) and frustrating, but it was crucial to the nature and point-of-view of the film and it helped to ratchet up the tension. As the camera bounced and moved back-and-forth you weren't always sure what you were seeing.
Cloverfield is basically the best Godzilla movie I've ever seen, but instead of focusing on the monster or the hero (geeky scientist or steady soldier) it tells the story from the perspective of some of the tiny people running around the city trying to keep from getting stepped on by Godzilla.
As for the Cloverfield monster, it was creepy and terrifying ... and damn near indestructible. Its ability to take a punch (or a tank round for that matter) was a bit problematic, and there were some other plot holes, too. But the fast pacing didn't give me much time to think about them. Overall, the movie was creative and exciting. And short at less than 90 minutes.
I don't do thumbs up or down, stars are overused, and ripe or rotten tomatoes are already taken. Any ideas on what I should use as my unique movie rating icon?
for now I'll give it four out of five ripe thumbs.

See also: The Host, another creative monster flick that came out last year from South Korea.

No comments: